Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Financial Institution

Financial information has become an overload!!!!!!! There is no way one person can be expected to understand it all. This semester will be the first semester that financially, I am stressed out beyond belief! Let me begin at the beginning........................

So I register for classes, just like I do every semester, and notice that tuition has again been raised. I didn't think much of it because I always try to earn as much as a I can and then get a loan for the rest. Well, I didn't know that I wasn't going to be working very much this 7 week break or I would have been more worried about this. 

So time passes and I decide that I should probably get my loan stuff together. I filled out all the papers and did everything that I was supposed to do. Well, the school sends me how much subsidized loan I can get and it isn't even enough to cover the cost of tuition. Now I charged to my student account a macbook. Since the school has decided to approve the Laptop initiative, I decided that it was okay to purchase this. I had assumed that I would be working more at my job and would earn approximately $3000. Well, this was not what happened.  I haven't been making much and I put as much as I could into savings and paying off my computer. I still owe $557.33. I didn't get any saved because I working on paying that off. I have not saved any tuition money so I have to take a loan to pay it all.

I decided to call the financial aid office and see what we could do make this work. I wanted to take enough loan to pay off the computer and tuition. The first lady that I spoke to said that there wouldn't be a problem with combining my loan for Fall and Spring semesters. That loan equaled $2351.00 which would have been more than I needed to pay tuition and my computer. So I agreed that that would work. Well, then I called UHEEA to change my promissory note to a different lender. Well, when I called them, they reminded me that I didn't know if I should accept the loan from the school or if they were going to do that for me. I told UHEEA thank you and that I would talk to the school and then change my promissory note. 

I called the school back and transfered me to an actually financial aid officer instead of a student helper. This lady told me that if I combined my loans together then I would only be eligible for $1450 instead of the $2351. I told her that I didn't want to do that then. That doesn't cover tuition either. So now I have no idea what to do! I don't have enough money to cover tuition and my computer unless I go into an unsubsidized loan which would mean that I need to pay $50 every 3 months towards interest on the loan. That really isn't much but I still don't want to have to do that. I just want to be able to do it all in subsidized. This is just too many decisions. 

I don't like making decisions and so this makes me very stressed! I really wouldn't mind paying the $50 every 3 months but I really don't understand why they can't just give me the subsidized loan. I can't even get grants and federal help because my parents claim me on their taxes. This is makes it so hard to get any help from the government. My parents don't pay for my tuition so why should their income be factored into anything!? I just hate that it works that way!

"The world revolves around money" is a true statement regardless if we want to believe it or not. This is disappointing! It isn't the way things should work. It should be so difficult to go to school. I couldn't imagine going to a more expensive school because then I would never be able to afford it!

Anyway, hopefully things work out!
Signing off for now!  

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Trust me... I know exactly how you feel!